- This event has passed.
GLA:D H/K – Oct 31 – Dec 14 – In Person
November 21 @ 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 2:30 pm on Tuesday and Thursday, repeating until December 14, 2023
The GLA:D™ Canada Program is led by our Exercise Specialists.
GLA:D™ is a unique, seven-week, education and exercise program for people living with stiff and/or painful knees and/or hips, or those with knee and/or hip osteoarthritis. Research from GLA:D™ in Denmark shows participants report less pain, reduced use of pain killers, fewer individuals on sick leave, and being more physically active.
We’ll work with you on:
- improving your knowledge of osteoarthritis, risk factors and symptoms
- coping with the difficulties of daily activities associated with osteoarthritis
- controlling your movements and proper posture
- building muscular strength through functional exercises
- learning how to apply the exercises to everyday activities
Our Team Includes:
- your family doctor
- our Exercise Specialists
We’ll work on:
- education about osteoarthritis and the self-management of symptoms
- neuromuscular exercises that teach you how to control your movements and build muscular strength
How it works:
GLA:D™ is a seven-week, exercise-based program.
- 7-week program
- two, virtual one-hour sessions each week
Please Note: Six program sessions are available and each runs for 7 weeks:
- Session 1 – January 11 2023 – February 24 2023 (Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM)
- Session 2 – January 24 2023 – March 9 2023 (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:15 PM to 1:15 PM)
- Session 3 – January 23 2023 – March 10 2023 (Mondays and Fridays from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- Session 4 – March 8 2023 – April 26 2023 (Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM)
- Session 5 – March 28 2023 – May 11 2023 (Thursdays and Fridays from 12:15PM to 1:15PM)
- Session 6 – March 20 2023 – May 5 2023 (Monday and Fridays from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
Who is this course for?
Patients must meet specific GLA:D™ criteria in order to join this group program.
If you have questions, please contact us at 780-410-8000 so you can speak with one of our Exercise Specialists.
About the GLA:D program by the Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation:
Research from the GLA:D program in Canada has shown:
- a mean 15-29% improvement in pain;
- over 30% of individuals experiencing a marked improvement in activities of daily living and sports and recreation;
- over 45% of individuals experiencing a marked improvement in quality of life;
Other outcomes include a reduction in pain intensity and reduced use of joint related pain killers.